Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sensory Issues

Now that I know I'm autistic, I actually have reasons for sensory issues I've had my whole life. I feel overwhelmed when exposed to loud music, too many people talking at once, people talking to loud or too quickly, bright lights, and flashing lights. I also know why I sometimes I can't eat certain foods because the texture or taste seems off, and that it's not just because I'm a "picky eater." The only problem with this is that my family (aside from my sister) doesn't know I'm autistic. So when I ask my mom for certain foods, she gets mad when I don't eat what's in the house. And it's not that I "don't want to" or whatever, it's more that I can't? And sometimes foods that I usually enjoy are inedible because the flavor or texture overwhelms me in that moment.

Another problem I have with food is that sometimes it makes me feel sick. It's only certain foods, but I'm not sure if this is related to autism, or something else. I hate the feeling of food in my stomach though, it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. I hope this doesn't persist, because food is important (obviously).

Sometimes I'll eat something I usually enjoy and it tastes absolutely disgusting and I have to spit it out. Does this happen to others? What sorts of sensory issues do you have, particularly concerning taste and texture?

I know a lot of autistic people have problems with touching things, such as certain cloths or what have you. I don't generally have this sort of experience, but I do hate the feeling of tissues and dry towels. They make my teeth feel weird.

Lately I can't seem to eat anything without getting a stomach ache or just hating the taste and feel of the food in my mouth. I can only eat chocolate, coffee, crackers, and milk generally. I can eat some other things, but eating them too long grosses me out, and I always get a stomach ache afterwards. I don't know what to do about this to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment